Sunday, April 3, 2011

Critical Thinking Blog- Assignment #3

The first topic that I am thinking about writing for my research paper is "Science and technology: Promise and Peril" (Research paper idea #2)"The Promise of nuclear energy (which was once thought to be an endless supply of cheap electricity) vs. the downside of atomic weapons, etc. I have always been curious how nuclear energy was created and used throughout the world. The nuclear energy, which does supply electricity, has radiation. Japan recently had an earthquake. And they are trying to control the radiation from the damage of the earthquake. If the radiation is not controlled, thousands of people may die. I would also like to know how the creation of nuclear weapons came about. And if anyone uses them, how do they get more?
The second topic that interests me is "Popular Science: Bridging the two cultures". (Research idea #4) I would like to learn how science has had an effect on people around the world. I would like to see how people take a liking or disliking to it. One of the books that is on the list of suggestions for this topic is "The tipping point, blink" written by Malcolm Gladwell, asks a lot of questions that may or may not necessarily have an answer. Two of the questions in the book are: "Why do more and more teenagers smoke, when everyone knows cigarettes kill"? And "why is word-of-mouth so powerful"? These are questions that we have been asking ourselves for years. I am interested to see the view that Malcolm Gladwell has on this.
I will most likely choose "The promise of nuclear energy vs. the downside of atomic weapons. I have always had a strong interest in this. I would like to see how nuclear energy is used, how weapons are made and used, and how powerful they are. The creation of nuclear energy is a creation I am very much looking to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment